Suspended lecturer should be reinstated
The community college administration needs to exonerate lecturer Daniel Petersen. Too often the feud between faculty and administration can be compared to a bad hostage movie. You know the one where the FBI walks in and tells the local police that this is their jurisdiction, and the battle ensues. Petersen's use of profanity was taken out of context. When Timmothy Jahraus complained, the community college should not have ducked, turned tail, and run—they should have stood their ground and supported veteran lecturer Daniel Petersen.
Chancellor Designee Karen C. Lee stated that Petersen's posting of the Timothy Jahraus letter on his website "violates multiple university policies on use of information technology resources, protection of sensitive information, and campus and system ethics codes for faculty." Well, it looks like she found a damn loophole.
All of this policy circles back around to the bigger picture. The community college fears that Petersen violated the Family Education and Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA). They have failed to prove in court that his actions actually violate FERPA.
FERPA was enacted to require educational institutions to provide academic records to students and their guardians. It also stipulates that educational records should be kept confidential. By identifying the posting of the doctor's letter for public scrutiny on a university-maintained website as a violation of FERPA is a gross interpretation of the law. Hell, it's downright abuse of the law.
Daniel Petersen is one of the most engaging lecturers the community college has. His suspension next semester makes it a little bit colder and bleaker for students to return to classes. It looks like the rainy season is going to continue all the way through May.
-From Ke Kalahea's Editoral Board
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Ke Kalahea News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST KE KALAHEA NEWS
RECENT KE KALAHEA CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor